Friday 3 February 2012

Review: The Goddess Test (Goddess Test #1)

Original Title: The Goddess Test
Series: Goddess Test #1
Author: Aimee Carter
Publisher: Harlequin
Published Date: April 19th, 2011
Genre: Young-adult

Summary:
It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

Review:

Very few people have an amazing story-telling capabilities - Aimee Carter is one of them.  The Goddess Test was one of the books in my wish-list for a long time and finally, I am glad I read it.

Kate Winters is a teenager, who lives with her mother.  As her mother is fighting cancer, Kate quits her school to look after her.  Henry (or Hades, the Lord of the Underworld) brings back Kate's best friend, Ava, from death (literally!), making a deal with Kate.  Kate must become Henry's queen and become a goddess, for which she has to pass seven unknown/unseen tests.  Although Kate didn't believe Henry at first, she accepts for the deal, when Ava really dies.  She also has other problems, that has to face, apart from the tests..the main thing being none of the other girls, who are selected to take these tests, were alive.

Below is a special book trailer for you..I hope you enjoy!


The story-telling was amazing!  The characters are entertaining.  The plot was interesting and kept me happy and glued throughout the book.  The romance between Henry and Kate was endearing..both of them were afraid to trust and try again.  But when they did, I really felt happy for them. 

There are some places where the original Greek Mythology has been seriously disturbed.  But if you ignore those mythology stuff and come to think of it as a romance book, I am sure you will love this book.  If you care much about mythology than the plot, then this book will be a bad idea for you.

Push aside your mythological logic and enjoy the book!  I did!

Series:

1.  The Goddess Test
1.5.  The Goddess Hunt - Expected publication: March 1st 2012
2.  Goddess Interrupted - Expected publication - March 27th 2012



Some quotes from the book:

“I care," he said in a trembling voice. "I care so much that I do not know how to tell you without it seeming inconsequential compared to how I feel. Even if I am distant at times and seem as if I do not want to be with you, it is only because this scares me, too.”

“Keep trying until you have no more chances left.”

“Do you think he's cute?"
I rolled my eyes. "He's a god, Mom. Of course he's cute.”

“Did you know,” he said, his breath warm on my cheek, “that that is the first time anyone has ever told me they loved me?” Startled, I did the only thing I could think of—I kissed him again. “You’d better get used to hearing it more often, because I plan on saying it to you an awful lot.”

“No matter what happens, I will always be there for you, even if you do not remember who I am.”


3 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet - and I have no idea why. I'm a huge mythology fan. Definitely sounds like I need to pick it up ASAP :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed that the mythological logic has a very, very small corner of this book in that Henry is Hades :) But the little index at the end, well, it's very helpful in reading book 2, especially if there's been a long wait between reading the 2. Great review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't like this one all that much. I am just now reading Goddess Interrupted and I like it a lot better :-)

    Ana @ BookSpark

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...