Tuesday 17 April 2012

Book Feature & Interview: Playing the Genetic Lottery by Terri Morgan

Original Title: Playing the Genetic Lottery
Author: Terri Morgan
Published Date: November 13th 2011
Genre: Family
Links: Amazon | B&N | Goodreads




Caitlin Kane knows more about the impact of schizophrenia than most people could imagine. Both her parents were afflicted with the devastating mental illness, a disease that tends to run in families, and Caitlin and her brother grew up trying to navigate the chaos of living with two schizophrenics. Her  tumultuous childhood left Caitlin determined to forge a peaceful and serene life for herself. Now 32, she is living her dream. Married to her best friend, she and her husband are raising two bright young children in the suburbs of Seattle. While her unusual upbringing has left Caitlin with emotional scars, she enjoys the love and support of her extended family and her challenging career as a pediatric nurse. But no matter how hard she tries, she can't shake the obsessive fear that the family illness will strike again, robbing her of her mind or stealing away the sanity of one or both of her children.


INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR TERRI MORGAN



Terri Morgan is a freelance journalist who's work has appeared in dozens of different magazines and newspapers. She is the author of four sports biographies for young adults, and the co-author of two others. She is the co-author of two books on photography: Photography, Take Your Best Shot, and Capturing Childhood Memories, The Complete Photography Guide for Parents. Playing the Genetic Lottery is her first novel. She lives in Soquel, California.

Now, let's start with her interview to "Books Are Magic".

Is there an inspiration behind why you chose writing?
I think writing chose me. I've always loved to read, and the next logical step was to start writing. I think writing is in my DNA.

When you were little, what did you want to be when you “grew up.”
My career goals changed a lot when I was young, probably because the concept of growing up was hard to imagine. I had a lot of fun as a kid, and didn't think too far ahead into the future until I got into college. But I remember at various times I wanted to be a disc jockey on the radio, a private detective, and the first woman to play major league baseball. Interestingly enough, I never really thought about writing for a career, even though I used to write my own stories.

Finish the sentence---one book I wish I had written is....
East of Eden. It's my favorite book, and I re-read it about every 10 years.

What are your current literary works? Any sneak peaks?
Right now, I'm just focusing on marketing my novel, Playing the Genetic Lottery, and earning a living. I work as a freelance writer. My jobs range from grant applications, to magazine article, to business reports, to newsletter and web pieces. It's not glamorous, but it pays the bills.

If you could travel in a Time Machine, would you go back to the past or into the future?
The past.

If you could be one of the Greek Gods, which would it be and why?
I hate to display my ignorance, but I don't know much about the Greek Gods, so I'll have to pass on this one.

Please tell us in one sentence only, why we should read your book?
It's a fascinating tale of a very strong young woman who survived a tumultuous childhood growing up with two schizophrenic parents, and created a new life for herself.

Tell us your most rewarding experience since being published?
I've had several people who have schizophrenia relatives tell me how much they appreciated my novel, because they learned even more about the disease, and because it validated many of their experiences with their loved ones.

What's one piece of advice you would give to aspiring authors?
Just do it!

If you could jump in a book and live in that world, which would it be?
I'm happy with my own life, and would rather just stay in this world.

If someone wrote a book about your life, what would the title be?
Dazed and Confused.

What is your favorite scene in the book and why do you love it?
The scene in the waiting room of the Behavioral Health Unit, when Caitlin and Jason encounter the man who tells everyone the president is Calvin Coolidge. It's one of the most humorous scenes in the book, and it still makes me laugh every time I read it.

What TV show/movie/book do you watch/read that you'd be embarrassed to admit?
My favorite TV show right now is Hawaii 50. It's kind of embarrassing to admit, but I plan my week around it so I don't miss it.

What is one book everyone should read?
Mine! Playing the Genetic Lottery.

One food you would never eat?
Worms.

QUICK ANSWERS

Favorite place?
In the water at Shark's Cove, my favorite surf spot.

Best Christmas Present?
World peace. I'm still waiting for that one.

Favorite Book?
East of Eden

Favorite author?
John Steinbeck

Favorite smell?
Chocolate brownies hot out of the oven

Favorite Series?
Wallander, by Henning Mankell.

Nickname?
My high school friends used to call me Punkin

Favorite writing spot?
My desk.

Favorite movie?
East of Eden

Favorite dish?
Macaroni and cheese

Favorite color?
Blue

Favorite quote?
To achieve, we must first attempt.

Favorite flavor of ice cream?
Cookies and cream

Your best trait?
I'm extremely loyal to my family and friends.

Your worst trait?
I'm too loyal too long to former friends.


*** This post was part of the Orangeberry Book Tours. ***


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...