Friday 4 May 2012

Interview: Shadow on the Wall by Pavarti K Tyler

Original Title: Shadow on the Wall
Series: The SandStorm Chronicles #1
Author: Pavarti K. Tyler
Publisher: Fighting Monkey Press
Published Date: May 1st 2012
Genre: Fantasy






Recai Osman: Muslim, philosopher, billionaire and Superhero?

Controversial and daring, Shadow on the Wall details the transformation of Recai Osman from complicated man to Superhero. Forced to witness the cruelty of the Morality Police in his home city of Elih, Turkey, Recai is called upon by the power of the desert to be the vehicle of change. Does he have the strength to answer Allah's call or will his dark past and self doubt stand in his way?

Pulling on his faith in Allah, the friendship of a Jewish father-figure and a deeply held belief that his people deserve better, Recai Osman must become The SandStorm.

In the tradition of books by Margaret Atwood and Salman Rushdie, Shadow on the Wall tackles issues of religion, gender, corruption and the basic human condition. Beautiful and challenging, this is not a book to miss.

INTERVIEW WITH PAVARTI. K. TYLER

Is there an inspiration behind why you chose writing?

My training is in theatre and I’ve always been involved in the arts.  Now, as a mom and business owner, organizing schedules for collaborative art is impossible.  So for a long time I had no creative outlet.  A few years back, a friend of mine put out a challenge for someone to write a Middle Eastern Superhero story and once I started I found I couldn’t stop.

Finish the sentence- one book I wish I had written is....

The Handmaid’s Tale

What are your current literary works?  Any sneak peaks?

Consumed by Love – Erotic Horror Novella only $0.99 on Amazon.
Two Moons of Sera – Fantasy Romance Serial Novel - Excerpt available here: http://www.fightingmonkeypress.com/books-2/two-moons-of-sera-2/
Shadow on the Wall – Muslim Superhero Literary Fiction – Excerpt available here: http://www.fightingmonkeypress.com/books-2/shadow-on-the-wall/

If you could be one of the Greek Gods, which would it be and why?

Hera – She’s the Queen Bitch

Please tell us in one sentence only, why we should read your book.  

Shadow spans religion, gender, corruption and violence and gives you a SuperHero to root for.

What's one piece of advice you would give aspiring authors?

Just keep swimming!

If you could jump in to a book, and live in that world, which would it be?

New Moon, I’d scoop up Jacob and love him forever before he became a pedophile

If someone wrote a book about your life, what would the title be?

The Misadventures of a Right Brained Accountant

What is your favorite scene in the book and why do you love it?

I love the scene where Darya is attacked.  Without giving too much away, I think this particular scene is essential to the story because you find yourself not sure who you’re sympathizing with in the story.

What TV show/movie/book do you watch/read that you'd be embarrassed to admit?

You don’t know me very well since you think I would be embarrassed by anything like this.  I guess the most guilty pleasure I have right now is RuPaul’s Drag Race on LoGo.  Damn, if I don’t just love those Queens!

What is one book everyone should read?

Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard.  It’s absolutely brilliant and no one will read it because of scientology, but it is hands down the best sci-fi book ever written.  And I include DUNE in that.

One food you would never eat?

Live invertebrates

QUICK ANSWERS

Favorite place?
The Ocean

Best christmas present?
Laser Hair Removal

Favorite book?

A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth

Favorite author?
Anais Nin

Favorite smell?

My husband’s shaving cream

Favorite series?
The Strain by Giermo Del Toro

Nickname?
Pav or some of my lovies call me Pavi

Favorite writing spot?
My office

Favorite movie?
Fire

Favorite dish?
Crème Fresh and Pea Pasta

Favorite color?
Purple

Favorite quote?
Howl Howl Howl – Oh you are men of stone – Had I your tongues and eyes I’d use them so that Heaven’s Vault should crack! – King Lear

Favorite flavor of ice cream?
Chocolate

Your best trait?
I’m always honest

Your worst trait?
I’m always honest


AUTHOR INFORMATION


Pavarti K Tyler is an artist, wife, mother and number-cruncher who has been committed to causing trouble since her first moment on this Earth. Her eclectic career has flirted with Broadway, Teaching, Law Firms and the IRS. Author of many short stories, Pavarti spans genres from Horror and Erotica all the way to Fantasy. Currently Pavarti is hard at work establishing her Indie Publishing Company Fighting Monkey Press.

Pavarti K Tyler’s novel Two Moons of Sera is a Fantasy/Romance and began in a serial format in November 2011. Her next novel Shadow on the Wall is scheduled for release in May 2012. Shadow on the Wall is Book One of The SandStorm Chronicles, the saga of Recai Osman — businessman, philosopher, Muslim and . . . superhero.

Author Online: Blog | Tumblr | Facebook | Twitter | Google+

1 comment:

  1. Vidya, thank you so much for hosting me today! It was fun to read over the interview again. I still maintain, RuPaul's Drag Race is the best thing on television these days :)
    Pav

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...