Friday 11 May 2012

Shelf Candy Saturday #5

Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday, a Saturday meme, hosted by Five Alarm Book Reviews.


This is where I feature a favorite cover and its artist, which does not have to come from a new release or something that I received in my mailbox.  Any cover that I discover and love will fit the bill.  

My pick this week is Crashing Eden by Michael Sussman.


Title: Crashing Eden
Author: Michael Sussman
Publisher: Solstice Publishing
Date of Publication: May 1st
Links: Solstice Publishing | Amazon






For one boy and his friends, the path to Paradise comes at a cost—one they may not be prepared to pay.

When a biking accident leaves 17-year-old Joss Kazdan with the ability to hear things others can't, reality as he knows it begins to unravel.

A world of legends exists beyond the ordinary life he's always known, and he is transported to the same Paradise he's studying in World Mythology. But the strange gets even stranger when his new friends build a device that delivers people through the gates of the Garden of Eden.

Now Samael, the Creator God, is furious. As Samael rains down his apocalyptic devastation on the ecstasy-seeking teens, Joss and his companions must find a way to appease Samael—or the world will be destroyed forever.

I received this book as review request from the author.  I liked this cover..it perfectly meant the title.  Of course, I accepted the review request and now, I am really interested in reviewing it.

So, here is the brief chat with the author..

--------------------------

Me:  Can you give some information about the cover designer?

Michael:  

It was designed by Vitaly S. Alexius and Caroline Hirbec.

Vitaly is a Russian artist residing in Toronto, Canada. Here is his bio:

"I was born in the year 1984, in Novokuznetsk, Siberian Russia.

On April 11/1997 fate has given me an unexpected twist and by means of aerial transportation I was thrown about 5555 miles across the Atlantic Ocean to Toronto, Canada.

Since 2000, I’ve been tutoring on the subject of drawing and painting. In 2002, I've learned Photoshop and have been using it ever since, to develop an innovative, digital-art style , which I gave a name - "Dreaminism".

Currently I'm working as a photographer/freelance illustrator, painting more chapters for the "Romantically Apocalyptic" graphic novel and doing commissions on the side such as concept art, book illustrations and cd covers."

And his website: http://vs.darkfolio.com/

Me: What are your thoughts about the cover?

Michael:

Yes, I love the cover.

I gave Vitaly a general idea of the image I was looking for and he sent me three sketches. I chose the one I liked best and that became the basis for the final cover. He was open to feedback along the way, which I appreciated, and I was thrilled with the final product.

--------------------------

So, that was the brief chat.  I will review the book, once it arrives.  So, what's your shelf candy this week and do you like my cover pick?

7 comments:

  1. The lighting and depth of the hole are amazing. The chaos is evident and I agree that the picture as a whole seems to capture the spirit of the book. This author is fortunate to have choices regarding the cover choice.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love this cover! I love the colors. The artist make the world we live in look so bleak and cold, while the sky is lit in those brilliant colors! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah! That's a serious cover. I really like how the building looks like they are falling apart. It's very creepy. The books sounds cool too. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to add it to my goodreads list! And cool you included the chat.

    You can find my shelf candy here: http://www.thewindypages.com/2012/05/shelf-candy-saturday-28.html

    Happy Shelf Candy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cover. I love the colors, the mostly blue but red at top. Makes the portal thing stand out. also has a real feel for the end of the world has been here. my scs http://jennreneeread.blogspot.com/2012/05/shelf-candy-saturday-12-wildes-fire-by.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this one because most of the cover is gray or blue, but the sky has so much color in it that your eye is just drawn to it! Thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard of this one yet.
    -Melissa
    @Harley Bear Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how there is a comic feel to this one. And the author is definitely lucky to have had a choice. Most don't! Nice selection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting my cover, Vidya!

    I agree with everyone that the composition is amazing, and the feelings the illustration evokes fit my story perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...