Friday 7 December 2012

4-STAR Review: "Wanted: Dead or Undead" by Angela Scott

Original Title: WANTED: Dead or Undead
Series: The Zombie West Series #1
Author: Angela Scott
Publisher: Evolved Publishing
Release Date: March 18th 2012
Source: From "I.O. Book Tours"
Genre: Horror, Young-adult


Trace Monroe doesn’t believe in luck. He never has. But when a fiery-headed cowgirl saunters through the saloon doors, wielding shotguns and a know-how for killing the living dead, he believes he just may be the luckiest man alive.

Trace wants to join Red’s posse, but she prefers to work alone—less messy that way. In order to become her travelling companion, Trace has to agree to her terms: no names, no questions, and if he gets bit, he can’t beg for mercy when she severs his brain stem.

He agrees, knowing only that Red is the sharpest shooter he’s ever encountered. The fact she’s stunning hasn’t escaped his attention either.

What he doesn’t know, is that Red has a very good reason to be on top of her game. She not only has the answer for how they can all outlive the plague taking over the wild, wild west, she IS the answer.


REVIEW

Recently, I like to read zombie novels, more than fantasy (but, fantasy is still my favorite genre) and when this book came for review, I just accepted.  And I am glad I did.

Set in a post-apocalyptic zombie world, this novel focuses on a group of people, trying not to get infected and stay alive.  Red, the heroine of this novel, is tough, independent and no-nonsense type.  Trace is a guy, who starts following Red, after she kills a zombie in a tavern, when all other men failed to do so.  Trace also knows that Red has a bounty placed on her head and tries to get Red to the city and get his money.  Red, knowing nothing about Trace's intentions, just tries to get rid of him.  During their journey, there are so many survivors here and there, who got themselves attached to Red and Trace and before Red knows it, soon they are like a family.  But, Red has her own secrets...

Okay, I know what you think - zombies and cowboys?  (I can even see your eye roll..)  Because I just did that, when I heard that.  But, I really was surprised to see that this novel gives you a good reading time.  In fact, this is the first western novel that I review.

The plot is fast, original and well-developed and the writing is great.  The character development is good and I loved almost all the characters.  The trust, friendship and romance is all non-cheesy (and that's a good thing).  This is a different approach to regular zombie novels and that's really appreciated.  The romance part is tender and sweet.  Enjoyed this page turner!

My only complaint is this - I am not scared.  Yeah, there are some gruesome descriptions, but I am not sure, why I don't feel that I-love-being-scared-of-zombies thing.  Other than that, I liked this book and definitely would like to continue this series.

Overall, this book created a feeling of sunniness while reading, and that alone should be enough for me to recommend it.

Recommended for zombie western romance readers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...