Monday 10 June 2013

Review: Confessions of an Angry Girl ~ Louise Rozett

The fact that I love contemporary romances and high school drama is no big secret.  I just have a shelf in Goodreads named "teen-college-middle-school". :-)  So, when I got this from Harlequin, I totally had those bookish moments where you feel happy no matter what people around you say to you.


Series: Confesssions #1
Author: Louise Rozett
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: August 28th 2012
Source: From the publisher
Genre: Contemporary Romance, Chick Lit, Young Adult

Rose Zarelli, self-proclaimed word geek and angry girl, has some confessions to make?

1. I'm livid all the time. Why? My dad died. My mom barely talks. My brother abandoned us. I think I'm allowed to be irate, don't you?

2. I make people furious regularly. Want an example? I kissed Jamie Forta, a badass guy who might be dating a cheerleader. She is now enraged and out for blood. Mine.

3. High school might as well be Mars. My best friend has been replaced by an alien, and I see red all the time. (Mars is red and "seeing red" means being angry—get it?)

Here are some other vocab words that describe my life: Inadequate. Insufferable. Intolerable.

(Don't know what they mean? Look them up yourself.)

(Sorry. That was rude.)

REVIEW

Rose is a freshman in Union High.  Is that supposed to be fun?  I guess, but Rose seems to be getting more sad and angry by the end of each day.  Her dad is dead, her brother abandoned her and went to college and never even want to come home for Thanksgiving and her mom separates herself from Rose.  Nothing is ever the same for Rose Zarelli.  When the school seems to be a living hell for Rose, one senior boy, Jamie, who is out of her league, not because he is so bad-ass handsome, but he has a girl friend, is the only thing she likes. 

Well, I love high-school drama and obviously, this book is so full of it.  I loved every moment of it and was in a dilemma whether I should laugh or cry at those moments.  Rose thinks and says some sarcastic things, even in her sad moments and that makes those scenes more lovable.  Rose is just fourteen, and I can understand a kid with all those personal problems battling through them.  This is just not about her dad alone, but also the change in her friends and school..it is a lot to take in, especially for a girl like Rose, who is such an introvert.  And just when things go crazy, her close friend and brother, Peter, had to become a jerk.

Although I am not sure why she treats her friend, Robert (who is so into her) so badly, I just am happy that Robert can move on, instead of forming a love triangle, which is the last thing I need in a book like this with so much drama already into it.  I like the other characters and even the cheer-witches.  They all add the drama in a right blend to the novel.  I enjoyed hating the Regina, the cheerleader and Jamie's girlfriend, who made Rose's life more complicated, because Regina is the major reason Rose learned to stand up on her own shedding her fears. 

At the end, Rose didn't grow up a lot, but definitely I can see through some growth from 14 to 15.  Even though this book is categorized as a chick-lit, it gave a feel of sadness that Rose feels some times.  And I mean that as a compliment to the author.  It's great work from Louise Rozett. 

I loved the way Louise started every chapter in the novel..with a complex word, that defines the chapter.  When I near the end of every chapter, I am excited to learn another new word and also excited to read what it means with respect to the novel.

Definitely recommended for chick-lit and high school drama lovers!




SERIES ORDER

1.  Confessions of an Angry Girl - Amazon | Goodreads
2.  Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend - Amazon | Goodreads


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...