Friday 7 August 2015

Review: Miss Mabel’s School for Girls by Katie Cross


Never underestimate the power of a determined witch.

Letum Wood is a forest of fog and deadfall, home to the quietly famous Miss Mabel’s School for Girls, a place where young witches learn the art of magic.

Sixteen-year-old Bianca Monroe has inherited a deadly curse. Determined to break free before it kills her, she enrolls in the respected school to confront the cunning witch who cast the curse: Miss Mabel.

Bianca finds herself faced with dark magic she didn’t expect, with lessons more dangerous than she could have ever imagined. Will Bianca have the courage to save herself from the curse, or will Miss Mabel’s sinister plan be too powerful?

Miss Mabel’s School for Girls is the first novel in The Network Series, an exciting new fantasy collection. A gripping tale about the struggle to survive, it will take you to a new place and time, one you’ll never want to leave.

REVIEW

Bianca is a witch, who has a curse on her.  To remove the curse, she requires to meet Miss Mabel, which seems to be possible only if Bianca wins the Competition in the school.  Three different and difficult tasks are set.  Bianca faces so many struggles inside her own mind in every turn.  The result of the Competition and the things that happen later are something that you won't predict it.

I started this book with so much expectations.  When I was over 30% of the book, I was not even sure whether to like it or even continue it.  Bianca seems selfish and none of the other characters really spoke to me.  So many incidents to this extent just left me thinking about Harry Potter books.  Letum Wood = Forbidden Forest, Leda = Hermione, three enemy students, the deadly curse, the high towers, I could go on.  But, I just went on, because a good friend said this was really good.

If I was proved wrong about my opinion of a book, this was the first time.  I was surprised really. It took a great turn in terms of both the writing and plot around the middle of the book.  I enjoyed it, loved it, adored it.  The author has really got a great story at hand.

Bianca's character, although, seemed selfish at first, was actually brought out full of determination and courage at the end.  I loved the girl especially for the fight she gave all of them.  Camille and Leda, who are Bianca' friends, also end up being liked for all their help.  Miss Mabel is the perfect villain for the story.  The readers will literally want to push her from the top of the mountain, after her actions.

The author never gave me a dull moment in the second half of the book.  It was a page turner and a dark adventure.  Highly recommended.

4 STARS

1 comment:

  1. Exactly the same happened to me! It was a DNF. Maybe I should give it another try :) thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...